Pages

4.16.2011

Some news

Well, I had a phone call from one of the Producers I interviewed with on Friday, and I have the job if I want it.

Bear in mind, this job is not the full time CM position that is more the grownup thing to do. Not the job with benefits and paid vacations and holidays. Not the position which requires corporate attire and political correctness. Nope.

It's a Scripty gig.....on a zombie feature.....to be shot in my "backyard." And by "backyard" I mean in Pontiac, which is a huge improvement over the commutes to Detroit and down river. A fantastic difference to commuting in Grand Rapids. It's close, so I won't lose out on sleep or gas usage getting to and fro. So, a plus on the production side, overall.

Wages-wise - it's a MI standard abysmal rate, but I have already mentally compensated for that fact in my work strategy.

Five days of pre-pro (paid); 20 days of production (paid); one day of post/wrap (paid) - so at least there will be cash coming in during the waiting period.

Oddly enough, now my fingers are crossed that the interview for the corporate job takes its time in presenting itself. But if it happens....eh, it happens and I will deal with it, because I am certain God has a plan which requires a total sense of humor and willingness/ability to contort and juggle.

Hmmmm. Guess I better brush up on my circus skills!

It feels odd that I am not more geeked about landing this Scripty gig, and I can't understand why entirely. Except, I am certain that my tempered enthusiasm has everything (if not the lion's share) to do with my anticipation and uneasiness of the whole domino sequence already in place for the corporate thing. I don't want to jeopardize one of these work activities for the other, but I know it may come to that. This is exactly what I was talking about when I asked the question about why things happen as they do.

Goodness knows I need a job. A good, steady, benefit-yielding job - but I want to enjoy the work, too, and that is asking too much....I know.

Back to the upcoming film:

I read the script once prior to the interview. It is action-packed and dialogue heavy, heavy, heavy. There will be a lot of work on this film - a lot of continuity to deal with regarding just the normal Scripty activities. The added gore and SPFX to track will make this an interesting plateful, to be sure. But hey, a job is a good thing! I have already established my need to have access to the production office and the copier without having to kill myself over it. And, I spoke with them about time lines for what it is they need/want from me. In a few days I should be able to meet and hash out some specs with the AD/2nd AD, and perhaps the editor to establish a familiar protocol of verbiage between their shot perspectives and my own.

The director, I am told, is a first time film director, having spent his career to this point working in live theater, so it could be a wild and interesting ride.

I will have more to report on all of this starting next week, but until then you'll just have to be happy with all the other nonsense which is my life. Thanks for looking in.

No comments: