Pages

7.24.2011

Uh-huh...just what I thought

I walked in from garden patrol with muddy hands and a desire to soap them clean and brush up under my nails. Inside it was cool because the AC unit was on and a strategically placed, oscillating floor fan was wafting the air to and fro.

I kicked off my boots and mounted the two steps from the back door to the kitchen. Then I heard it.

The unmistakable sound of rustling tissue paper.

At the same time, Hobbes peeked out from around a corner and began her usual meowling conversation. Although, I can't quite say if she was asking me for more food, the chance to go outdoors herself, or if she was tattling on her little sister. Knowing Hobbes, it was most likely a combination of the three.

I concentrated on the tissue noise and looked over to find Flop attempting to skulk off the kitchen table while trying to keep eye contact with me (if she was spotted) and look adorable. She had been resting on my sewing on the table!

Hobbes: "I told hers nots to be theres. I told hers it was wrong to bes theres. I told hers she was goings to gets in troubles. I told hers I wanted to bes theres, but she woulds not shows me hows."

Me: "What are you doing up there? Get down! Flop! Get down."

Hobbes: "Can I gets more foods?"

Flop: A silent meow and an attempt to look adorable as she repositioned herself from a terrified flight crouch to a new state of repose on my dress.

All I can figure is that since I have moved, and begun using, the material in the shopping bags (that Flop would lie on) from the library floor, she just saw the easiest remedy was to follow the soft, squishy material from the bag to the kitchen table. Fair was fair. And the fact that the tissue paper makes the same noise as the plastic bag is just a bonus.

But how to account for getting stuck with pins? That had to be a shocker from time to time.

Well, at least now I know how it is that my perfectly pressed patterns and assembled pieces came to be wrinkled every now and again.

No comments: