Pages

7.20.2011

Wahoo, we did it!

We managed to get the house down to a remarkable 75*F overnight! Sadly, by mid-afternoon we will see the temps right back around the 80* mark (inside), perhaps a degree or two warmer, and it will inch up as the day progresses, with the exterior 90's baking the house.

Seventy-five degrees is about as cool as it's been inside for the last week or better with this dreadful heatwave, and as you may well know, it isn't forecasted to be any cooler for some time to come.

There was a quick rainfall a day or two ago, but rather than cool things off it only served to enhance the humidity to a horrible degree. When the weather is like this it helps me to put some perspective on things.

For example: (except for the humudity) this is how it feels - to some extent - for our troops overseas in Afghanistan and/or Iran/Iraq/etc., everyday. We do not have to don bullet-proof vests and heavy gear to walk around. Happily, we do not have to contend with bullets and landmines, terrorist cars filled with explosives, scorpions, sand chiggers and the like. If we want to change our scenery, all we have to do is hop on a bus or into our cars and drive to a preferred location. So, while this heat is not my most favorite thing about summer, I can handle the inconvenience and discomfort of these hot, hot days knowing I have it pretty darned good...all things considered.

On a lighter note - I've just come in from watering my lovely perennial bed, and I am pretty certain I could hear gulping and sighs of relief, but I may have been imagining things when a clump of echinacea said "thank you."

More another time, for now I am going to shower and cool off a bit (more) before the day really begins. Maybe I will even convince Karl to step out to the mall for a cool reprieve, or to a movie in the middle of the afternoon.

Take it easy and be cool, people.

No comments: