Pages

1.06.2012

Getting my Christmas on

Yes, it's true.

I am sitting here, quilting my left brain out, listening to Christmas music!

"Why are you listening to Christmas music in January?" you ask.

Well, let's just say I didn't get enough of it throughout the holiday season...which I didn't. And Brian had had way too much of it. I was trying to be an understanding mom so I stayed away from playing anything remotely holiday-oriented when he was around.

With Brian working retail, he heard it sprinkled in starting late in October (following the horrible onslaught of Halloween musical mixed tapes), which I think is cruel, cruel punishment for those poor retail folks. By Thanksgiving those Christmas tunes were full time and, as Bud explained it, they weren't even the good versions of most songs.

We all know the corporate reasoning behind putting Christmas tunes on, it's to get shoppers in that holiday mood; buying stuff, thinking about gift-giving (which requires gift-purchasing), planning for the big Xmas package and the whole 'Christmas enchilada' experience - cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching.

Not truly subliminal, but very $ubver$ive.

Anyhow, as I said, by November Bud had already had too much of the holiday tunes, and here we are in January and I still haven't met my festive quota.

Besides, I am choosing my favorite collections to rock out with - the Ray Coniff Singers, Ella Fitzgerald, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole....the whole childhood memory lane thing. Not only are there Christmas tunes on my Dean Martin CD, but there is a wonderful smattering of winter tunes....not even the least bit Christmas-oriented! Of course, some of them have been used throughout the holiday season, so that is how folks think of them, but I could listen to him sing the dictionary - so I don't care. It's great music and it keeps me smiling.

Maybe by Valentines day I will have had enough. We'll see. For now, I'm gonna keep getting my Christmas on (once Brian is out the door to work).

No comments: