Pages

1.13.2012

Here's one answer

I had a good conversation with my NY aunt yesterday, and she was curious about a lot of the goings-on in my life at present.

In particular, we chatted about my online book "store" (my listings online at halfdotcom) and she wondered why I wasn't selling my stock through Amazon instead. It was a good question, and while I would liked to have utilized the Amazonian customer base (because goodness knows, they really do have a good portion of the online selling power for a one-stop site), the truth....is they gouge quite a bit.

With a claw hammer.

And a pick axe.

And for good measure they follow all that up with a backhoe.

Whereas, HDC charges 15% of the item price for courtesy fee for listing with them (less if the item is priced over $50). Of course, they also take a sneaky (varying) portion of the S/H costs they charge the customers, but it is still much less than Amazon runs off with.

For example:

There is the 99-cent item sale charge right off the bat. Then there is the $1.35 handling fee, per book (this fee varies depending upon the type of item) - oh, and bear in mind they aren't handling my items....I am. Add to those amounts the 15% charge for transactions (this fee also varies depending upon the item being sold), and you end up making a lot less for your efforts than you would hope.

I imagine they also keep a portion of the S/H charges collected from the buyers, but that isn't listed in their "how we do this" descriptions.

So there you have it, Aunt Jude, the reasons I sell online at HDC.

Oh, and yes, I did take a photo of the mod quilting I told you about for the background, but was too tired last night to wait for my laptop to fire back up in order to download the pic from my camera and then send it on. But, you will have a photo tonight, and there will be so much more to see, too. Plus my production CV. So glad to hear the cat was adopted...made my day. What did your neighbors end up calling him?

It was nice speaking with you yesterday! Stay well, happy and active! Hello, New York!!

No comments: