Pages

1.04.2012

Really wanted popcorn

And when I really want popcorn I usually just make some.

So, last night I made popcorn; and surprisingly, when I asked the boys if they wanted any, I was met with two "yes, please" responses.

They never want popcorn, and last night they both did!

This was the first sign of the Popcorn Apocalypse that I did not pay any attention to.

I'd made a decent amount in a recycled Jimmy Johns bag, but by the time I had parsed out a bowl for each of the boys there wasn't enough left for me to have any, so I set about as I always do, pouring an appropriate amount of kernels (again) into the paper sack and placing the sack back into the microwave.

Over the past year and one-half of this procedure, I have learned that you can actually use a bag around three or four times before it should be 'retired' - unless it is a heavier brown paper bag....those you can use until they rip. However, I hadn't yet learned that one mustn't disregard even minor defects (or weak points) in one's cooking materials.

See, this was the second sign of the Popcorn Apocalypse, and while I did give a cursory once-over to the small (seemingly insignificant) split in the bag, I didn't think the resulting (possible) escape of kernels would be all that great - or horrifying.

Wrong!!!

If you see a seam in your JJs bag where the glue has given up the ghost and left even a small hole - throw the bag away!!!

I implore you - throw it out. Place it in your recycle bag and forget about it.

Also, Popcorn Apocalypse sign number three (incidentally): don't ignore the z-z-z-zot-zotty-z-zot noises that come from your microwave when it is turned on. NEVER ignore z-z-z-zot-zotty-z-zot noises. Those are probably (most usually) accompanied by sparks and/or flames.

Those things in a microwave are never a good thing.

Long story short - never throw a flaming bag of popcorn kernels (and popcorn, if any got that far) into your kitchen sink unless you are certain there isn't a dry sponge or dishcloth with which it may come in contact.

Yup.

'Nuff said.

*I really wanted popcorn.*

No comments: