Pages

1.14.2012

Taking a quick break

Ah, routines. We all have them - many or few, but every living creature has them.

You can try and deny it, but you and I both know you have at least one.

My cats and I have one (several, actually), but the specific routine I am on about here is the ritualistic feeding of the felines. And, is my fashion, when I rise and drift into the start of [our] day, I will head to the loo first, take care of business and then head out to the kitchen for the fooding period.

Yes, the "fooding" of the girls has been discussed here before, so don't make me repeat things.

This morning, as I washed up and prepared for the kitty choir I knew was awaiting me in the hallway, I was surprised at the lack of pawing I was (not) hearing at the bottom of the door.

See, normally Cleo follows my path to the bathroom and parks her keester in the hall at the edge of the doorway, and proceeds to paw at the door while I am 'busy.' When she perceives too little movement and/or sound from my side of the door she paws - gently but urgently - until I acknowledge her in some way.

This morning was a little more silent than usual, and I hastened to open the door to see where my 'dog' had gotten to. Rarely does she not shadow me when she isn't engaged in her daily nap.

As the door flew open I was met by the faces of Hobbes and Flop directly next to the door jam (in Cleo's traditional spot). I think the alarm on their faces said it all as the door opened too quickly. Poor Cleo.

She had been leaning on the door with all of her weight, perhaps trying to impress upon her sisters there is a bond (and a routine) between the two of us that they were interfering with. Perhaps she had been nudged out of position by her hungry compatriots - who knows?

All I do know is that as I opened the door it whooshed in my direction a lot faster than I was used to and in tumbled Cleo.... just as surprised, and somewhat embarrassed by the indelicate way she landed in front of witnesses.

It took everything I had to not laugh out loud, and the three furry folks scurried around the corner and into the kitchen at lightening speed.

Silly bunch of girls.

Well, my break is over. I've finished my sandwich and my story for the day, so I'm heading back to my activities. Have a good day all.

No comments: