Pages

3.20.2012

Yeah, I'm stubborn

Stubborn as the day is longer. Stubborn-er, even - so I guess the day is not long enough.

Having sold a good number of books online [through that online site mentioned in the past] I have come to the realization that most people in general are so much more in to what they can get versus what they can give.

"Hey man, where's my quid pro quo?" they grumble and mutter and think and expect.

Hello, Me-me-me Society.

There is so very little reciprocity practiced today that it's no wonder about all of the strife and irrational, hateful behavior everywhere I look. EVERYwhere.

On the road, in supermarkets, Christmas shopping (for crying out loud), parking lots, library materials, found property, at concerts (indoors or outdoors), your feet on my coat on my chair at a basketball game....and on and on.

No consideration. No civic pride. No help thy neighbor. No waiting your turn in line.

But I digress.

Where was I? Oh, yes, the sold books.

If you ever purchase items online, you will note that some of those outlets allow for rating the seller on such issues as: the item's condition; the veracity of the seller's claims; the packing and shipping; the speed of delivery; etc. There is also (with some outlets) a chance to rate the buyer as well.

Personally, since the site I use is not eBay, I see no need to rate the buyer, since they must actually select and pay for the books before I ship anything, that it is sort of a non-issue whether the buyer was 'prompt in paying' because they had to purchase/pay for the item before I send it.

They buy the item, I pack and ship the item and everything is swell. They can't reneg before getting the item, but they can change their mind and arrangements can be made after the fact to return and refund, etc, blah, blah, blah. That's a whole other matter.

What I am trying to get at is this - I do an excellent job in keeping on top of the sales when they happen, and in getting the books (and other items) packaged in the best way possible/affordable to allow for no damage during shipping. I get those items labeled and to the PO in a minimum amount of time, and generally have the books et.al. to the recipients in less time than the site's stipulated date range. AND more often than not, there are usually bonus books included in the transactions that add weight to the pkg (and cost to the shipping), but that I do not receive reimbursement for.

Why, then, for all of the sales I have made, are there so many fewer rating numbers associated with my ID?

Because people do not reciprocate, that's why.

Unless there is something bad to say, a criticism, a problem, or a complaint about the condition of the item, people just aren't willing to part with a kind word or a moment of their time to share a tiny speck of praise or thanks.

How do I know? Because my rating is top notch - with no complaints; because I care about how something someone bought from me arrives. I take care and I am diligent, and there have been no issues.

What is it our grandparents used to say? "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

Well, some of you people are lacking a lot of social graces. Come to that, too many folks have absolutely no social graces, and you need to work on it, buddy!

Of all of the ratings I have given, and of all of the ratings I have received, which do you think totals more?

That's right, Mr., Ms., Miss, and Mrs. Non-Reciprocity, you guessed it. I have given more in the way of ratings than I have received, and none of those received included a thanks for the care in packaging OR the extra items!

So here's what I propose for those of you who are thinking of buying online. No, wait! I DARE you to do this, should you ever buy something online. Use the system provided by the online site to rate the seller and say something pertinent to the sale and/or the merchandise.

I'm not leaving another compliment or word of thanks for any more transactions unless you people begin to act like you live on a planet with other people around you.

And another thing, try acting human on the roadways, too. How about letting someone slide into your lane - especially if they took the time to use their turn signal and 'ask' if they can move on over. Or, simply hold the door for the person behind you....or park in ONE space at the plaza and not use two. I dare you!

I double dog dare you.

No comments: