Pages

1.01.2013

Too bad

Sadly, today was not a good day. 

It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good.  It was a wash.  A waste.  A lost cause.

And what's more - it felt like another Sunday, too.  This would have been the third inside of a week if the days could be arranged (or, re-arranged) in that way.  That's the trouble with holidays, as I see it, they mess up the flow of a perfectly good week!

Yes, I'm serious.

If a holiday falls on Sunday (maybe even on a Saturday), well, then the week is OK...normal.  It stays on track.  But heaven help us if the holiday falls on a weekday and either prematurely ends a week in progress, or breaks up the Monday-through-Friday flow.  Those "long-weekend" holidays are equally as irritating, and just as destructive to the routine of a week, if you ask me.

But I know you won't, so let's simply agree to disagree, shall we?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I took advantage of some daylight hours to get a little work done on the Black Widow, and due to circumstances beyond my control I wound up burning a good deal of the day on repairing, recalculating, and re-cutting to come up with something workable for the next time I pick up working on that particular quilt.

It was very disappointing to find the beautiful hand-dyed batik I had planned to use for the center of the backing (surrounded by my usual borders) is chock-a-block full of small - but harmful - holes!  I ended up having to substantially reduce the center medallion square by trimming away all of the unusable portion(s) and adding far more mass to the additional sashing bits all around.  That took some time to be certain everything was 'just so' for the next steps in the construction process.

After which, I labored over the Greek eternity blocks I am constructing freehand.  Mostly just one block....one pain in the asterisk block.  One of the corner blocks which needs to be sized correctly or the turn at the corner could look truly bad.  Hoping the next time I sit down with this project I can get more accomplished, because the hours spent today really didn't yield a whole lot - and it's a little disappointing.

Ah well.  Day is done; gone the sun.  The last of the meager winter daylight fast is evaporating behind the houses across the street, and I should move on to something else - perhaps dinner?

More tomorrow, but until then, welcome to 2013.

No comments: