Pages

6.18.2009

A near perfect day

Weather-wise, it is stunning out there. After yesterday's 18 hour rainfest, today is delightful; but it really isn't fair to judge yesterday against today (or vice-a-versa). That would be akin to comparing apples to oranges. Each, superb fruit in their own ways, but hardly similar enough to make comparisons.

When I awoke this morning there was a definite lack of humidity in the air, and the 60* overnight temps left a slight chill on my skin once I slipped from under the blankets - but it was great sleeping weather. The windows upstairs were all open, and the fresh air was heavenly. Even more so without the threat of rain entering with each gust of a rainy breeze.

Yesterday was pretty feisty that way.

Here we are, a whole day later and the gray skies of this morning have given way to puffy intermittant clouds and sun. The breezes are mellow-to-nonexistant, and the blue jays are raucously playful in the backyard, divebombing from one tree to another, to the pergola, to the ground and back again!

As I have been ever more energetic and capable of doing lighter chores (and more strenuous ones - shhh....) I have begun cleaning and tidying and taking inventory, and diligently making an earnest effort to finish the spring cleaning I had begun months ago (before Harvey beat his hasty farewell). It's been two months since the surgery, and I am much improved and SO ready to do anything/everything!

As I am still unemployed, I continue to search for work, and look for training opportunities that will count towards my improvement and building my knowledgebase. I am at my wit's end once I finish beating the putrid 'job bushes' each morning - the pickings are slim - so I have taken to doing lots of little things to keep occupied. Maybe this is why I feel like attacking the cleaning and sorting things just now - lots of immediate improvements and changes that are obvious at the moment.

There are a myriad number of tasks which need my attention, and every time I settle in to work on one, I then feel guilty about not working on another - thus never really finishing anything, because I am always flitting about doing a bit here, then a bit there, always feeling guilty about what it is I am not touching at the moment.

I think I have found a solution to my problem, however. Here's what I propose: Tonight, I will compile a list with one or two tasks assigned to each day (besides the smaller everyday stuff), and will give myself permission to work freely on those one or two items (which require results) for the entire day - at least devoting no less than two hours and no more than 6 hours at a time to each task for that one day. Like sewing, or writing, or editing, or learning another technique on one of the creative suites, and cleaning the garage, weeding one of the flowerbeds, etc. Knowing that there is time set aside on another day for one of the other chores (maybe a couple of times per week) will give me the mental freedom from anguishing over what it is I am not doing right then to really hunker down and apply myself to other things.

Hmmmm....seems like a good plan. A near perfect plan to structure perfect days.

No comments: