Pages

6.04.2009

Random silliness

Has it really been two days since my last spew? Well, let me spew on, McDuff.

I joined Facebook last month (maybe closer to two months ago), in addition to already having a spot in Myspace. Let me tell you, (last year) after about two weeks of user confusion and baffling site navigation, I pretty well gave up on the Myspace thing (plus, I can't remember my password or user name any longer, so going in and updating is impossible). So, I am just 'out there', in the Myspace realm, with my little gingerbread head photo marking my ID, aimlessly existing.

I am however, still trying to peek in on the Facebook place from time to time and keep up with the chatter and the silliness, and the tests, and the random "become a fan of [this]" pass-along's - and on and on and on. Oh my gosh, there's so much garbage! What happened to simply chatting and saying hello and sharing news and being communal? That site is just so much extemporaneous BS, what's the point? All the extra garbage they send and almost demand you pass along to 8 other friends...takes the need for truly writing a message out of the mix. Questions and real information seem to get lost in the barrage of quiz scores and 'what star am I most likely to bond with on Pluto?' photos. And you can't simply take a fun little questionnaire and post the final answer or score on your own space...nooooo. You MUST send it to 4, or 12, or 18 of your favorite people, and grant access to all of your contact info, etc.

I took one "I.Q." test that everyone else seems to have taken and posted, and at the end of it, it made you enter all sorts of personal (UNNECESSARY) information before your score would post. Well, I used fake info...and would you believe the silly thing kept kicking back to certain input spaces for "real" info? Aaarrgh! How did it know the data I gave wasn't my data? So I wouldn't give my real phone number or my birth date or my street address. It wasn't pertinent to posting my score, it only puts me on a mailing list, or makes it easy for a scammer to use me and mine some how.

When I opted to cancel the whole thing and back out of the test site, it said I was stupid, and that I didn't get any of the answers correct. Well, that's laughable...it was all old joke-type questions, like: "How many months have 28 days?"

We all know the answer is 12, right? Just stuff like that, which I have heard a million times, so I knew I had a darned good score. I am simply flabbergasted by the lengths these people will go to in order to elicit [our] information.

Bah!! Humbug, I say. Humbug!!

On another equally random subject - one of my many uncles turned 62 in May. I know this because he is seven years younger than my mother. Born in 1947, he is a young baby boomer (or an old baby boomer - depending upon your point of view). Maybe I should say he is an early baby boomer. Hmmm.

At any rate, his daughter posted a photo of her father blowing out his birthday candles and captioned it "My dad turning 74," or something very similar. The point is, she labeled him 74! How can you not know how old your father is? Seriously?! I almost fell off my chair - she aged him twelve years in a heartbeat. Even if she had the correct decade, he would still be 2 years older by her count.

Ah, my cousins are funny. Like the fact I still need to correct some of them who insist on calling me "aunt" Beth when I am a cousin. Just because I am the second eldest of the lot of us doesn't arbitrarily make me an aunt!

For crying out loud. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzI'm just saying. :^P

See? Random silliness. Enjoy your day, people. Hugs all 'round.

No comments: