Pages

6.11.2009

Resume day

I spent the better part of yesterday online sending out resumes and cover letters (all electronic, of course), and received one fairly instantaneous reply. A good thing, no?

After an exchange of roughly 7 emails, I was called a number of hours later by the casting director for a project here in MI. I was buoyed, but apprehensive, as there are a number of caveats with this project.

The first (most notable) is that it isn't a film production, although it is being run by an Oscar winning editor and an award winning casting dir./producer.

The hours would be very long - 14 hours per day (4a.m. to 6p.m.) - every day! That means Sunday through Saturday for the duration of the project. "When?" you ask. Well, let me tell you. From July 12th through August 11th.

Now, there are a few light days - in the beginning - that will only be 'business hour long', but that will end on the 12th of July, when the project gets off the ground and the real "action" begins.

My first three days will be *July 9, *10 and *11, and will be pre-production work in casting, after that, I have the option to continue with the production and become a site PA - doing the grunt work.

Does not bother me. Bring it on!

Days *one, *two and *three pay $125 a day...so, all good. I will have to pay for my own room, however, so 'take home pay' not so good.

[See? For every good thing there is a minor drawback.]

Every day thereafter pays $150/day, including two meals, BUT there are no days off and the call time every day is 4a.m., and the end of my day would be roughly 6p.m.

The elements will be what they are - meaning I will be out in the sun, rain, mosquitoes, heat, cold, whatever, all the time - and shepherding the crowds of approximately 200 folks all day, every day! These things I can handle, even the grunt work portion...toting water, garbage, toilet paper (unused), and - I understand - picking up cigarette butts. [Repugnant thought, I must say with all honesty] The hard work doesn't bother me...it's exercise!

The cigarette butts thing is a little off-putting, though. I call it like I see it.

Pro/con.

Give/take.

Yea/nay.

I mean, it's six of one, half-dozen of the other. To be or not to be. You get where I'm goin'? Ya dig? Do you feel me?

Truly, the worst thoughts I have are of the boys being here alone for that month. I have been asked twice now to please consider remaining on as one of two PA's after the pre-prod work is done - really a cool thing to be asked by these folks. The biggest drawback is leaving the kids to their own devices for a month. Karl has class every Monday until mid-August, and I am his note taker/proctor. I am frightened by what may come of his chance to complete this course and do as well as he is able with Brian subbing for me. Will they be able to step up and work well together for the sake of the class and harmony at home, or would there be nothing but issues? I can't say for certain.

Will the grass get mowed, the trash taken out, the catbox cleaned DAILY and the cats fed without arguements? Dishes pile up and smells will take over, I fear.

The one giant piece standing in my way for the second portion - the longest stretch - is the whole where-to-stay issue. I would love to do this gig, as I can use the money and the possible networking opps (as well as the resume component), but I have to have a place to stay before I can accept the job.

So....... [trailing uncertainty]

I have already phoned the person working with the producer to give that much of an answer, and I am waiting to hear if they have a connection for me to call and look into for the chance of staying on base (as that was something mentioned in an email). At this time, however, I am treading water.

Stay tuned and I will keep you posted.

[Sadly, that was the only bite I had for all of the email I sent out this week - just thought you'd like to know.]

Oh, and I did have a bright bit of news regarding the camera position I had won right before the surgery - I finally got an answer from the producer (Brian K) as to whether I was still in the running because of the unfortunate timing et.al. He texted: "We are still counting on you being on the proj, and eager to have you work with us. Will be in touch soon, have been busy with editing." So you can see where accepting this other bit of work might throw a monkey wrench in things should work ever truly commence. ;^)

No comments: