Pages

3.18.2010

That baby quilt update

Home from Livonia and I can now load the first photos of the new quilt project. For some reason the lovely old Mac at Gram's can't read my external hard drive, and the one thumb drive I had in my purse is also too big for the Mac's capabilities, so I have to wait until I can get online with compatible equipment to upload pictures.

Isn't technology a nightmare?

Anyhow, these aren't anything more than the beginnings of the project - color selection, material palette, cut pieces and the like, but at least you can see the progression. It took three solid days of daylight hours to get this far, after sketching out (then discarding) the original sampler block idea, and then deciding upon an Ocean Waves design instead.

I would like to finish this little thing before/in time for 'boy Schaffer's' arrival, but it's more likely I'll have it completed shortly thereafter. Time will tell. Laura (and Scott) decided on a cute sheet set called JJ Coles "Blue Bullseye" for the baby's room, and the paint scheme is of the same palette, so I figured to follow suit. It's a striped motif, and the colors are clear, but on a more grown-up level. Chocolate brown, baby blue, khaki, (a small amount of) olive green, a clear orange, tan or taupe and the creamy muslin all together - not a bad palette to work with, but it did become quite clear to me that incorporating all of them into various small scale blocks wasn't going to be as quickly accomplished as I thought in the beginning. While cutting the strips I realized I had to change the overall quilt to an Ocean Waves pattern, instead. Above: "Boy's Nonsense" using a four of the materials selected from the stash for the baby quilt.

This was to be one of many different blocks in the overall quilt top, but to get the sampler result I wanted was going to take too many "me" hours (I am too much a perfectionist), and a scrappy look for me is still way too planned.

This assortment is approximately 750 triangles, and I am certain it will take another few hundred to finish the top. I also still need to cut 18 squares and many half squares (on the diagonal), to finish the alternate blocks of the overall pattern. Note: Oranges are hard to work into anything, and as you can see, I have three different solid oranges besides the three prints.

More on this as I have some progress. Thanks for looking in!

No comments: