Pages

11.20.2010

Nuh-uuuh

I would be hard-pressed to believe anyone if they tried to tell me the temp yesterday was above the 40 degree mark at any time yesterday. Between the biting wind and the clouds it was darned cold!

Mean cold.

NASTY cold.

I've no real time to fill you in just now, as I just checked my email to find two conflicting call times for crew - and they are in complete disagreement with the revised time given last night (this morning) as we left the set in the weeee small hours. Oh, yeah, and they are pushed up (of course), meaning they are earlier than they were.

You may ask yourself "How can they work until 1:30 in the morning, and then be expected to turn around and get back to set less than 12 hours later?"

Well, in all honesty, you aren't supposed to force (expect) a crew to show up the next day in under 12 hours.....but do you really think many above the line folks give a rip about what is right and fair, blah, blah, blah? They are working on a time and money budget, and that is what they see. They figure since they are tired, too, and cold, and hungry....'we're all in the same boat, so rah rah rah.' Yeah, that works, except for the fact you (director/producer/person who hired a bunch of eager film beavers) are getting far more out of it than the folks busting their asses for you hoping it will lead to much bigger things.

You almost have to expect this is what is going to happen (the changing tide of call times and overruns) - most especially on indies, low/no budget, and so on. If it isn't SAG or union, or run by industry professionals, you are going to get shafted on the turn-around time (without fail, without exception). You will be running on adrenaline and very little to no crafty, or decent conditions period (read that as adequate shelter to work in - and I don't mean shooting conditions), so you have to love the job.

More later, I need to move away from the keyboard in order to re-pack my stuff and get out of here, and I still have pages of work to do, transcribing my notes from the 15+ hour-day yesterday, but I am going to have to finish it on set today. Ideally, Scripty can get the report in to the AD/Editor in a few hours or less following wrap on a day....I began last night, but fell asleep on the sofa, surrounded by papers.

Will I get it done before I roll out of here? Nuh-uh.

PS - I will have photos to view after this is all said and done - stay tuned.

No comments: