Pages

1.23.2011

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Turn and face the change!

You classic rock fans will recognize those scant lyrics, and if you don't (and you're of a "certain age"), kindly close the page, go take your Metamucil and have a seat in your rocker by the window.

Yesterday morning I went to the second support group meeting for ASD caregivers, and was suddenly caught off-guard by the realization that I was not there to get help (for Karl) so much as I was there to offer help and guidance for others with much younger children. These are folks who are just starting the maze of "what now?" who will be able to take advantage of [our] knowledge and experience and be able to push through the challenges of what will come for them - as parents of children with ASD.

Karl's journey is at a different point, and there is no turning back, there are no do-overs and no fixes or helping hands to ease the way for his adult years. He is a trailblazer (although so many more have gone before him, misdiagnosed and unrecognized as Aspys or those suffering ASD), but I intend to make these new parents stand up and take charge. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SPEAK OUT FOR YOUR CHILD - THEY CANNOT DO IT FOR THEMSELVES!

There is no way to erase the frustration and torture that plagued Karl all throughout his young life at school and home, at playdates and family gatherings (and all points in between). And I am still only learning things about him that I didn't know.

Lord, please help me be a better parent for my sons.

I need help with the changes that are to come, and help preparing him for the future - with and without me in it.

No comments: