Pages

1.26.2011

Food

Today is a pot roast kind of day.

Outside it's dreary, cold (what else), icey, bleak and grey. So, so grey. I awoke very early this morning and had a sense of wanting. What exactly, I don't know........and I still don't.

I let my kitchen skills take the lead, though, and decided comfort food was needed to try and keep the 'wanting' from getting any worse. Checking out the frozen larder I found a large piece of beef (over 3lbs), chicken, some stew meat and ground turkey. I quickly ruled out anything Mexican, oriental/Asian, pasta-filled and fried, and since we are still without oven (SWO), I also put the kibosh on meatloaf (although that was the front runner).

Since I'd made chicken soup over the weekend (which only lasted two meals!), I knew I shouldn't repeat that sort of dish too soon - although I don't think the boys would've complained if I had. So what was left?

I immediately put the roast into one of my lovely old cast iron dutch ovens to brown, and set to work filling the house with delicious smells. Once the meat was browned all over I added spoonfuls of minced garlic and a heaping dose of horseradish. Covered the ingredients with several cups of water, liberally dosed the hunk of meat with freshly ground black pepper and set the heavy lid on snugly. Several hours later we added onions and carrots to simmer in the pot while I made garlic and sour cream mashed potatoes.

Oh, bubba!

Brian left for his evening shift with a full belly. Karl is content and stuffed; and delicious smells are wafting throughout the house.

I still don't know what I'm wanting, but a good meal isn't it.

No comments: