Pages

1.06.2011

Mundane

How does a garbage company decide what the route will be for their trucks?

I mean, it's a little arbitrary (and weird) for pick-up to begin in an obscure part of a subdivision at 7AM. And it's not 6:45 or 6:52, or even 6:59. Nope, it's 7AM, and we aren't even the middle of town, let alone the center of the sub! I mean I could understand if we were the dead center of the "bulls eye," for example, but we're not; and I could understand of it was one trash company, but it isn't - it's all of them (and there are four!).

It's just odd, that's all.

I am not complaining about the time, or the noise....just perplexed by the choice of location for trash collection to begin. I mean, why not start at one end and drive on through to the other? What's the point of beginning with us?

It's 7:14 and the first truck has just whisked away the bags for one of my neighbors, and since we don't have the same company collecting our rubbish, mine will remain at the curb a little while longer.

It is now 7:27 and truck number two has just stopped at the driveway for my neighbor directly to the south. After gathering and compacting the load, they then inexplicably rolled slowly to my driveway and collected my bags as well!

"Aha," you say to yourself, "maybe it was your garbage team. In the December darkness you simply couldn't tell who it was out there with your trash." Well, the sky has lightened enough for me to be able to discern the writing on the side of a bright red truck, and trust me when I say it is not my team. My garbage company is cloaked in green with white and gold lettering. Nope, my trash has just been kidnapped!!

Boy, is my trash company going to be surprised. Maybe I can get Brian up and around shortly to do the cat box, just so there will be something at the curb when our guys roll by.

It's now one hour after I placed the garbage at the curb, and I can hear the next round of trucks rumbling into action somewhere within a block or two. I am not familiar enough with the schedule of our new collection company to know when to expect them, so I wonder if the approaching noise is 'us' or another of the many trash haulers that roam the neighborhood on Thursday morning.

Maybe I'll stick around to see who shows up next, it may be useful to know when WM does their thing for when I feel like sleeping in some morning. ;)

No comments: