Pages

1.10.2011

Power should never 'go out'

The neighborhood went dark last night just about 11:15PM.

I was blogging when zzzztt pfft!

The boys said there had been a brown out earlier in the day in my absence, but that it was a one-shot and nothing severe.

We seem to have a lot of those - more than four times a month...and yes, that's a lot.

When calling DTE to report the trouble, and to get an estimate on the repair time, we were told to expect power (and heat) sometime between seven and nine in the morning. So we quickly hunkered in and bedded down for the night.

I offered the boys my bed and prepared to sleep on the sofa; since the fireplace on the lower level would sufficiently heat the immediate space - without the fan to circulate the heat - I figured we could at least stay comfy for the long night.

Karl declined and stayed in his room, with blankets from Brian's bed added to his own. Brian took the couch and fell asleep fairly quickly, and I kept an eye on the fireplace, getting up to turn it off after an hour or so.

Somewhere around 3AM the power was restored and I quickly ran through the house turning off lights and appliances that were on as the power went out.

Bud's alarm sounded at 6:45AM and he got himself ready for work and out the door. I tried to ignore everything and drift back to sleep, but just as he departed, one of the cats began to deliver a hairball. What a noise!

So here I am!

Happily, I found yet another invitation for a phone interview for a different gig - a Muncie IN production for the spring - in my inbox. I have already responded saying I can speak with them today or tomorrow at their earliest convenience, and that I am looking forward to the opportunity! Will need to keep a close eye on my inbox throughout the day and keep my phone in my hand.

Oh jeez...I need to charge my phone! Don't need to run out of power during an interview.

No comments: