Pages

1.31.2011

Craving meatloaf

Yes, that's right. I am craving meatloaf. I want so badly to make *one* - have the smell of a baking meatloaf fill the house - then slice into it and savor the texture and flavor of a fresh meatloaf. [drool]

[How many times can this chick use the word "meatloaf"? I know, right? Well, just so's ya know, I edited one "meatloaf" out* of the opening salvo. So-o-o-o-o...yer welcome.]

When I made that pot roast the other day (more like a week ago, I suppose), I really wanted.........you guessed it.

My heart and taste buds are set on having one, too. So much so that my brain is now picturing the beautiful mound of meat on a plate (and yes, I am still talking about an actual meatloaf, and not Nathan....or Gerry)! Juicy and steaming and mmmmm. That, to me, is real comfort food.

"So make one already," I hear you screaming. Well, I would, but it's not that simple. Remember, I have no oven.

OK, so technically, I do have an oven....in a crate....in the garage, but that is a long way from being able to use it.

Karl's solution is to make "mini meatloaves." We'll just fry them..."like hamburgers" he says.

Brilliant, but they'd still just be hamburgers, so it's not the same thing. Not really, not by a long shot. Got give him credit for the suggestion, though.

It's like making cookies on the stove - and, yes, it can be done. I've been faux-baking on the stove top for the better part of the year, now, and if you stay diligent and attentive, and don't try to rush the process, you can make some very passable baked goods on top of your range.

Corn bread, cookies, muffins, biscuits - either store bought in a tube or scratch-made - they all can be made with patience and a spatula. Of course, you have to be able to regulate the temps of the cooking surface to get the desired results, and therein lies the rub.

It seems our four-burner range top is sympathizing with the plight of former oven.

Some time ago, one of the burners gave up the nuances of temperature regulation in favor of perpetual burn mode. That is to say, that one particular 'burner' now only works on high temp, there is no way to turn it down, so it isn't used for cooking any longer.

And now, it seems another of the cooking spirals has decided to become temperamental, and is slowly becoming overzealous in heat production. I am forever turning it down before cooking disasters occur.

Hopefully, this summer will see more work and more cash flow so I can complete the current phase of the kitchen metamorphosis.

Actually, that is another reason why I am trying to sell my books online. When I can manage to have the funds in my account to pay the carpenter to return and install the new range, that is when I can make a meatloaf!

2 comments:

Jwilson said...

But would you do Any-thing for Love...?

FunnyLadyInRed said...

Yes.

But I won't do that!