Pages

8.31.2011

Jinxed it

Took the portable AC unit out of the living room just over the weekend, thinking that while we may have some warm days ahead of us, the weather seems to have turned a corner to more pleasant (tolerable) temps.  Surely, we can handle these high seventies and occasional low eighties - which we have been - without using the AC. 

We won't melt on the temperate days. [insert mental thought of Wicked Witch of the West here]

We used it quite a bit over the worst of steamy, hot July (all of steamy, hot July, in fact). Oh, my, was it steamy.  That little unit droned and chilled for all it was worth.  I set an oscillating fan well off to one side of the room and blew the chilled air towards the hall, hoping to impact the back half of the house. Jury's still out.

Darn it all if I wasn't a little premature in my assessment of the weather to come.

Weather weanies say we are to expect mid- to upper-eighties the rest of this week.  90*F by the end of the week - with humidity!   Ay carumba.

No, I won't be putting the AC unit back in its place, but I will be taking full advantage of the overnight lows and freezing the boys out at night.  As it gets down into the beautiful 60s at night, we will draw the air through the house with our beautiful old attic fan, and let that natural AC keep the house moderately cool while the temps climb outside.

It does work, after a fashion, and I thank God that it does. I just hate that I jinxed it.

PS - It's raining (lightly) just now, but sounds as though a light wash is all we're going to get.  The squirrels are romping on the roof, and I keep waiting for one of them to slip and fall past the library window - like a cartoon.

No comments: