Pages

11.05.2011

Oh, what a day!

Began and ended the day in the dark.

Brian had an early shift, literally opening the store for/with the restocking crew, and I awoke when I heard him moving about. Not long after he departed (approx. 4:30AM), Karl was up and soliciting 'mom-time.' He wasn't feeling super, but not too horribly badly; he just needed a mother's touch to get back to sleep.

I woke up after missing the alarm by 40 minutes - I also had somewhere to be for the day.

Barb is in her last year with the MSU Marching Band, and I was invited to ride along to one of the last tailgating breakfasts any of us would be attending with the mighty marching Hooahs. Following the breakfast, we (Jean and I) drove back to Flint to view the Flint Institute of Arts exhibition of Amish quilts, some of which were very striking.

Of course the handwork was exquisite and astounding, and a few of the pieces took our breath away. It was quite a lovely collection, and larger than either of us thought it would be. If you have the opportunity, I would suggest you attend before the collection moves on. http://www.flintarts.org/exhibitions/current_amishq.html

From there, we drove to Mott Comm College to attend a showing of the documentary "A Small Act." What an uplifting and beautifully edited film. http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/flint/index.ssf/2011/10/free_film_festival_held_at_mot.html

Afterwards, Jean and I had a very late lunch at El Cozumel - a favorite Mexican fare restaurant in the small, sparsely populated Courtland Center Mall, just outside the Flint limits in Burton, MI. If it weren't so far to drive, I think the boys and I would make a regular haunt of the place. But, when we have our teeth cleaned at the MCC dental school, it is always a sure bet we will have a wonderful meal there to end the day on a high note.

From there I drove home and found myself in need of a nap! Holy smokes was I floppy-headed and drowsy. By the time I could focus on anything, it was too dark to lay out squares, so I've been rinsing and prepping the material I will need for tomorrow.

Hope you have a nice evening, and I hope that your day was full and productive...not to mention enjoyable. Here's to an extra hour of sleep and beautiful weather for Sunday!

No comments: