Pages

11.07.2011

While chatting

As I chatted with my mom this morning (via one of those little messaging apps provided by an email service), I was pinged by "Gary, with US.Staffing." According to the message, he wanted to be able to chat with me.

W-e-e-e-e-lllllll, Gary - if that is your real name - let's chat. Let's see if you are any more a sincerely lying recruiter than all the others who have contacted me over the last several months with promises of a job I am perfect for, but then never follow through.

Sure, having my corporate resume in your file of candidates for positions makes your portfolio of potential employees look good to a prospective client, but do I really want to give you that sort of leverage when it is never going to truly result in a job for me?

I've got your number, Gary. I have all of your numbers.

See, I have been down this particular path a dozen times already, and those other recruiters, who made me come to their offices and fill out forms and give them the benefit of a face-to-face, have never really come through. As well with the bunch of recruiters who simply did phone interviews.

There was really never any job available. It was a case of them wanting to look as though they have a raft of great candidates in their coffers, and making them look primed to aide a new client employer in finding the right person to fill an open position. The more people at the headhunter's fingertips to choose from, the better the potential new client employer likes the headhunter's chances of fulfilling the need.

SALE! Score one for the recruiter, but not for the people like me whose resumes and credentials are being used as bait to lure the client employer through the door.

I liked my chances better 10-12 years ago, when you submitted a paper copy resume either through the US mail service or the old fashioned way, by walking it through the door and handing it to someone. At least then you were the real entity and not some go-between idiot who makes money when they get you the job.

Hey, Gary! (if that is your real name) I've been awake and available for quite a while now. Let's chat, dude.

Sheesh!

No comments: