Pages

11.03.2011

Who'd-a figured?

I had made up my mind that I wasn't going to hunt for any more Scripty gigs.

The pay is too low in this state, and the production teams (Producers, UPMs, Directors - the ATL) figure they can abuse the crews on short turn-arounds because nobody ever cares if the ATL sticks to SAG rules or not (not to mention no thought is given to common sense, either). Neither do they care that forced calls and holding us past twelve hours isn't any good for morale. And lack of sleep, for those who need to drive or run their dirty little errands, isn't given a passing thought.

You have to be young and made of pretty tough stuff to work film in MI. Sadly, in my declining years I feel myself getting a little squidgy around the edges.

Imagine my surprise when I received a call out of the blue asking me to crew on an international espionage flick coming stateside from India. I had worked with the UPM on a job last November/December, and he contacted his aide here in MI to have him call and check on my availability for this action-thriller.

Random, strange, WTF-sort of coincidence, or a message from on high?

Question: Would a smart person say "yes, I'm available" or "no thank you"?

No...seriously. I'm wondering if there are any smart folk out there with any smart-like opinions to offer.

1 comment:

Rie said...

Say "YES!!!" There are good and bad in al days of the year. This could be the break you are looking for. Plus you love what you do, and you're good at it!! GO FO IT!
You'll be glad you did. Remember you have to crawl before you can walk. You've been crawling so get to walking GIRL! Luv Ya!
Maria.