Pages

11.01.2011

The thrill is gone

Rotten little begging boogers.

Even the elder trick-or-treaters were pantywaists.

Didn't want to call out for the treats, and didn't want to make the effort to breach the driveway/street connection unless I stood on the edge of the porch like an old hag trying to entice Hansel and Gretel. My porch light was on, and there was definitely candy at my house!

At one point, after the forth or fifth set of beggers walking slowly past the house - as I stood in the doorway with my candy larder in my hand - I just started hucking it at them as hard as I could.

Did you know a small box of Milk Duds will sail as far as a Tootsie Pop?

That's right, I made them search in the lawn for the candy!

But, the funnest thing of the night (for me) was when the 15 year olds (and older) would come up to the house and refuse to go through the motions to ellicit some candy. They'd just approach with their arms straight out, their collection bag in my face, and wait for me to drop some goodies in it without so much as a "happy Halloween" or spirited "trick or treat."

"Why was that the fun part?" you ask.

Because I would make them call out "trick or treat," then I would slip an old newspaper from the pile on my porch into their pillowcases and sacks.

And with a smile on my face I would reply "trick."

No comments: