Pages

6.28.2011

Always amazed

I am always amazed at each new day, when the sun comes up and makes the world look new and promising. After yesterday's showing of endless grey clouds (which I did not regret), today is a complete one-eighty.

At present, the rising sun makes the green trees glow and sparkle. The freshly turned earth looks like velvet, and the air smells of ocassional flowers and overnight rain.

I was grateful for the shade I worked in throughout the day on Monday, and was hopeful for the promise of rain to do my watering for me, but realized after the sun had gone down that we most likely were not going to get the sort of rain that was needed.

I had raced the clock to get as much done in the garden as I could throughout the afternoon and into the early evening. I debated a trip to pick up another helping of bagged topsoil until much too late. Even moved those last fourteen blocks around the house to the retaining wall in the back! All the while I kept an eye on the sky, praying and hoping the weather weenies weren't wrong about the rain.

Managed to transplant the Jackmanii from the front bed to its new home in the back on the south pergola upright, and happily turned loose an assortment of three leggy pincushion plants and one grand Veronica as its neighbors. The reclaimed Foxglove went back to a more permanent place in the weedfree garden, as did the path of stepping stones which span that seven foot portion of the perennial bed. A found Astilbe was also placed in the new grouping, and I left enough room for my beloved 'ick' (my Echinacea friends) to join the mix. Next year, when I have work - and income - I will add Cosmos and Petunias (and one or two other annuals) to fill in the spaces here and there, but for now I am glad to have the bulk of the cleaning work completed and the plants returning to a better way of life!

It gives me hope that the rest of my life will fall in to place when I see this ordered bit of beauty from my kitchen window.

[heavy sigh] Aahhhh...slightly less chaos.

There is still the matter of filling in the remainder of the bed and re-establishing those plants, but it is all going well (thank you, God). The repositioned Daylilys and Boxwood are doing fine, as are the heeled in plants still awaiting their homecomings. Oh, and I still have two Peonies to bring around from the front to the back, but that should be a quick process.

The remainder of this week will only get hotter day by day, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to keep up the pace and finish the back bed very soon, and then be able to move around to the front in short order.

Once it's all completed it will be far easier to keep up with (at least that's my theory).

By the way, there may be non-gardening 'news' to report, but it will have to wait just another day or two. Promise, though, you will know what's brewing l-o-n-g before I move around to the front perennial bed! Ha!

:^D

Time to get moving, Karl's MRS rep is due over around noon, so there are some inside chores to tend to beforehand. Make it a good day everyone!

P.S. Regarding Cleo - She had a fairly good day yesterday. Slow-paced, but up and moving, versus her Sunday off her feet once the stool passed. Tried to keep her drinking, short of literally putting it down her throat. I don't believe she poo'd yesterday, but I also didn't follow her around, so that is hard to swear to. This morning, she hit the box and had an issue with the bisquit completely exiting, so I think there is definitely a trip to the vet in her near future. Ah, pets.

No comments: