Pages

6.07.2011

Yeowza

Shikeys, is it ever a toasty day. Thankfully, not as humid as the weather had been over the weekend, but a hot day is a hot day.

I only managed to keep at the weeding for little over two hours this morning, as the temps began in the mid-seventies and quickly rose to more than I could take. Starting shortly after seven A.M. did little to make it any more pleasant, so once the bulk of the watering was complete I hustled inside to sit in front of a fan. There is enough work to do inside, so I won't feel guilty about whimping out of my garden responsibilities for just a little while.

Truth be told, since tomorrow is also going to be a scorcher, I may refrain from doing any more yard work until Thursday (except for the watering) - sad but true.

- Small note: Have made enough of a dent in the cleanup to date that I can proudly say I am 2/3 of the way to having the existing perennial bed totally cleaned out!

- Odd note: A few days ago I noticed a rather large bee drilling a new hole into my pergola, and stopped him "dead" in his tracks. Since then I have spotted two more holes in two other areas on the pergola - either overhead or on one of the 6"x6" uprights.

When I saw another lumbering, buzzing culprit depart yesterday afternoon, I took a chance he was alone and capped the hole by thrusting in a rather long stick. Apparently, he was not alone, and the stick went far more deeply into the hole than I expected!

:^O

This morning I found the hole open and the stick in pieces on the ground! Hmmmm and gulp! And when I glanced at the hole, there he was, sitting in the opening staring out at me....waiting.

>:^(

What could I do? You guessed it - I thrust another stick in the hole and listened. Sure enough, before too long, I heard the very audible munchings of the Carpenter Bees making a light snack of the plug. This means war!

- Yet another note: When the boys and I arrived home from a visit to see the Grandmas last night, there was a riot of color in the peony bed. Yep, the bushes are exploding with color, and man does it smell good, too. All but one of the moved bushes have budded and flowered. So once this flowering season is over I will be moving the lot of them to their new locations, and next year will prove 100% glorious again - though I am not displeased with this year's show in the least.

- And on that note: I will see you soon. Have a great day or two.

No comments: