Pages

6.30.2011

Last day of June

Much earlier today I spent several hours (too many) in the garden. My forearms grew slightly pink, but I kept hydrated and accomplished a lot - so it balanced out.

Yesterday was a bit of a waste as I rose very early, did nothing in the yard before prepping and leaving for an interview with another headhunting firm (contracting house). I regretted not spending even an hour outside before heading off for the face-to-face meeting; and once I returned home I had a case of the sleepies, and sacked out for a nap in a chair. When I awoke, it was to the wrap of a solicitor's knock at the door. Damn cable salespeople!

After shaking the sleepmode out of my head, I found I had been joined by Cleo and Hobbes for the nap! I barely remember Cleo climbing onto my lap, but 'Beena' was perched on the arm of the large chair, and when our eyes met, she greeted me with her usual throaty "meyeah!" and a look that said 'get up, lady, you're in my spot.'

Oh....what's that you're saying?

Yup, I have another hook on the line, but I am keeping my expectations low. Afterall, the agency that was certain they could get me into VW as a Change Management contractor (back in April) hasn't returned my email or contacted me again since that attempt proved futile (VW had identified and hired someone from within the organization - and the submission of outside resumes/candidates was a ruse).

So why, I ask myself, should this bunch of hiring agents be any different from the last set?

This representative seems to think my Project Management background is a huge commodity, and that she will have no troubles getting me hired in....somewhere....some time....in....the future. She's got nothing for me now, but thinks it is only a matter of time.

Odd, isn't it, that one person sees my resume and interprets it as a CM gold mine, and another person (doing the same sort of work) reads it and sees PM! Well, I just think it is a little odd, but if it means somebody may be able to help me find a job down the line, then you can see what you want!

Anyhow, the end of May marked my fourth year of unemployment, save for the few temp/seasonal positions I've held (along with the film gigs that have dotted my work history these past three years). Here we are, looking at July, and I am only marginally closer to having a job "job."

It has become more difficult with each passing year to keep smiling and remain optomistic when I am really beginning to feel as though the words "something will turn up" are more hollow than I wanted to admit...even to myself. Even tougher to make myself sit at this keyboard and spend three hours (or more some days) looking through sites and replying to faceless email addresses, asking for a chance to meet and speak about a job they've posted.

"Here. Here's my resume and a reason or five you should meet me and find me perfect for this job you have within your company. You won't be sorry. Call me!"

I'm going back outside and dig up a huge crop of thistle. Maybe that'll give me a little satisfaction on this final day of June.

No comments: