Pages

6.04.2011

Ouch!

I should have just turned around and attacked the weeds at the other end of the bed. That's what I should have done. That area was still in the shade of the apple tree, and I could have really made an impact there (and I'd most likely still be outdoors).

But no....no, no, no. Figuring it was still early in the morning - and as cool as it was going to be all day - I doggedly worked away at making room for my lovely Wisteria on the north pergola post. I dug out the weeds and maple starts and pulled up old vegetation, identifying three (and transplanting two) more struggling friends in the process.

It wasn't until a neighbor stopped by (with the arrival of the DTE truck) to gab, that I realized I was singed. I turned a little pink on my forearms yesterday, but this dose of sun completely baked my poor arms. After making my excuses, I hurried inside and coated my arms in yogurt.

It's been almost an hour, but it already feels 1,000 times better. In a little while I will rinse and plaster my arms once more.

Note to self: Remember to throw out the sunblock used and get another bottle for this summer.

Much later this afternoon, when the house has cast a shadow all the way to the pergola, I will rototill the bed and get my young, crazed wisteria into the ground and hopefully spend the rest of the summer watching it do its thing!

Hmmmm.... all this talk about yogurt has made me realize I am hungry. Now that the transformer (which blew early this morning) is fixed, and power is restored, I am making pancakes to celebrate!

How's life at your end of the bog?

No comments: