Pages

9.02.2011

Another Friday

I woke up thinking about how quickly this week seems to have passed, and realized we were at the end of another week.

I blinked...I must have.

It's sort of an odd thing I'm finding that even my younger friends (and Brian) are noticing the fast(er) passage of time.  I've always thought that with nothing (like a job) to do to keep busy, time seems to just d-r-a-g.  But look!  Here we are in September already with nothing but a large handful of holidays between us and the end of 2011!  Remarkable.

We are at the point in the year where I see it as nothing but a fast tally of celebratory markers.  The "fast four months" I call it. 

Labor day (long weekend of beer, boats and food - oh, and the dizzying start of a new school year - whoosh!); Columbus Day and Halloween (basically a party month and yard cleanup time); Thanksgiving (another long food weekend); Christmas (let's face it, food debauchery wrapped in the guises of goodness), then; the NEW YEAR (let's not forget the food, wine and hangovers)!

I simply think some of this could have been planned out a little better by the founding fathers and card companies, and perhaps spread out over a greater period of time, that's all.  But, it is what it is, and has been ever thus for.....well, let's just say we're all fairly well entrenched in it by now, aren't we?

But I digress (I know, I know - nothing new).

I woke up this morning having to check if whether or not it was really Friday. Which is odd, since I also did the very same thing yesterday when I had to put out the garbage for pick-up. 

Yup, it is Friday, and in my head, Friday music began playing.

"What does she mean 'Friday music?' "

Well, I'll tell you.

Every day of the week has music.  That is to say, there is a song out there - written with the name of a day of the week in the lyrics - for all seven days of the week.  Some are more popular and well known than others, but every day has at least one.  The songs I know are:
  • Sunday Girl - Blondie
  • I Met Him On A Sunday - The Shirelles
  • Gloomy Sunday - Billie Holiday
  • Sunday Morning - Maroon 5
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2
  • Sunday Sunday - Joni Mitchell
  • Blue Sunday - The Doors
  • Sunday Papers - Joe Jackson
  • Pleasant Valley Sunday - The Monkees
  • Sunday Kind of Love - Etta James
  • Sunday Sun - Beck
  • It Must Be Sunday - Phoebe Snow
I know, Sunday is a very popular day.  There are others, but I really only like these songs, and since it's my list, I'm stopping with these.  Of course, that'll hold true for each of the remainder of the days.
  • Monday, Monday -The Mamas & The Papas
  • Rainy Days and Mondays - The Carpenters
  • Blue Monday -New Order and also Fats Domino
  • Monday Morning -Fletewood Mac
  • Except for Monday -Lori Morgan
  • Manic Monday -The Bangles
  • Come Monday" -Jimmy Buffet
  • New Moon on Monday -Duran Duran
  • Tuesday Afternoon - Moody Blues
  • Ruby Tuesday - Rolling Stones
  • Church On Tuesday - Stone Temple Pilot
  • Love You Till Tuesday - David Bowie
  • Tuesday Heatache - Steve Perry
  • Tuesday Heartbreak - Stevie Wonder
  • Wednesday Morning, 3am - Simon and Garfunkel
  • Wednesday Girl - The Jet Set
  • Wednesday Week - Elvis Costello  and The Attractions
  • Waiting For Wednesday - Lisa Loeb
  • Thursday's Child - Eartha Kit
  • Thursdays - Meghan Cary
  • Thursday Afternoon - Brian Eno
  • Thursday - Jim Croce
  • Thursday's Child I Want You Back - World Beaters
  • Thursday Night Blues - Johnny Otis
  • Friday's Child - Van Morrison
  • Black Friday - Steely Dan
  • Friday's Child - Nancy Sinatra
  • Friday On My Mind - David Bowie
  • Saturday Night At The Movies - The Drifters
  • Another Saturday Night - Sam Cooke
  • Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting - Elton John
  • Saturday Night - Bay City Rollers
  • Saturday In The Park - Chicago
  • Only On A Saturday Night - Mood for Moderns
Great.  Now I need to go stack some CDs in the disc changer and turn on the stereo - my earworm is craving a music jam.  Well, it is Friday, and it has been a very l-o-n-g week, if only in my head.

Hmmm...don't Nilsson, The Beatles, Cat Stevens and Bob Seger have songs where they mention a day of the week?  See ya later.

No comments: