Pages

9.01.2011

Does anyone else feel that moisture?

I can't remember the last time I finished off a container of salt.  It has been a while, though.

And I am referring to the tubular cardboard dispenser you buy (most often) from the grocer.  You Morton's fans will know what I am talking about.

Each one of those little roundish boxes holds more than a pound of crystallized salt.  Twenty-two ounces!  And I just polished one off.  Fortunately, I had a 'mate' on the storage shelf in the garage for the inevitability of just such an occasion.  Honestly, we most likely would not have used it up had it not been for some icey front steps several times last winter.

As I unwrapped the outer cellophone and proceeded to peel the label (which covered the spout), I was struck by the random stupidity of the wording on the label:

"For protection against humidity and moisture. Peel label to reveal pour spout."

Now, I was a might tickled by the colorful notion that that bitty little sticker was going to protect that flimsy cardboard boxful of salt from humidity and moisture.  I always thought humidity was moisture, but dagnab if science hasn't found a way to keep my salt completely protected from the ravages of humidity and moisture!

Lawsy, next thing you know, we are going to be landing men on the moon!

My happiness in the moment didn't last long, though, and I suddenly panicked.  My mind was racing with the sudden confounding epiphany of the salt-variety.

My resulting quandry was two-fold:

1.)  If I removed the sticker so as to use the pour spout, I would effectively be screwing with the protective device for my salt.  What would happen if I accidentally dropped my container of salt into a pot of stew or knocked it into my dishwater?

[gasp]

By leaving the label covering the spout, I would never have to worry that my salt would clump.  But then, how would I use my salt?

2.)  If that damn label was so wonderful, why was my salt already a clumpy brick?  That's right, I could've robbed a convenience store with that kitchen weapon.  Or, at the very least, I could have given someone a bit of a concussion if I hucked it at their head......accidentally, of course.

So, being the clever individual that I am, I peeled away the label from the top of the container - disregarding my clumpy salt's safety - only to find their label was soley effective in pulling off their cheesy pour spout!

It never rains....but it pours.

No comments: