Pages

9.29.2011

Yanking my chain

Not for nothin', but can somebody please explain this to me?

My family has one place we frequent to have our hair cut, and yes, it is one of those "chain salons."

I know, I know. You tend to get what you pay for, but I sort of feel for $12 (plus a tip, if I am not crying like an idiot at the hatchet work to my bangs) they had better make it look as though some thought went towards what it was I asked for, and just exactly how the stylist-of-the-day was going to achieve my requested maiming.

By the way, a little tip: Try to steer clear of the one with all the bandaged fingers.

Ah, sorry...the question at hand, and please keep this thought in mind - 'my family consists of two male people and one female-type (me)'. Two menfolk, one femme bot. Got it? Boy, boy, girl.

When I wander in to stand at the counter, and I await the personalized greeting, I am never disappointed by the somewhat unenthusiastic welcome and inevitable three questions.

"Hi! Welcome to [insert chain barber name here - I'm sure yours isn't much different]. Q#1 What can we do for you today?"

[My answer is usually "haircut," or some other hair-related event. Maybe I should ask to have a wheat beer and a veggie sub....hmmm].

Q#2 "Can I get your phone number?"

See, they store us (the hair clientele) in their computer/register by phone number, so it helps that they ask for one's digits. [Again, my answer is usually straightforward.]

Q#3 "Are you...Beth?"

I would be astounded if I am not Beth.

Heeding my reminder from about seven lines ago, how would you answer this question. Could I possibly get it wrong? Is there any chance I am Brian or Karl?

Let's see, who else would I be, as I am clearly not my sons, and most assuredly female?

At moments like those I wish I still had my magic 8-ball.

Are they yanking my chain, or do they need a little 'Captain Obvious training'?

No comments: