Pages

9.18.2011

It was the perfect day



Weatherwise...activity-wise...friends-wise.  Perfect!

We began the day at the Renaissance Festival, spending several hours with family friends - Klaus and Erika, and their newest family member, Loki.  Loki is a rescued German Shepard/Collie-mix, with a decided past which includes abuse.  Sad but true - it is evident from his fears of certain objects. 

But, he is in a great home, now, with loving and kind owners.

We covered the fairgrounds from stem to stern, and Loki sniffed every tree he could reach...and every other dog in attendance, too.  He was much petted and doted over by many people passing by, and even Karl got in on the lovefest,
getting down to Loki's level and having an eye-locked
conversation.  This is remarkable for Karl in the respect that he is not much of a dog person - in fact, he has a bit of a fear of our canine brethren.  So for him to initiate contact and socialize so intensely with Loki was a positive thing.

Klaus photographed or video'd most of the day, bought a walking stick and journeyed into the "enchanted realm."  Many times the boys would wander off together (Brian, Karl and Klaus) and Erika and I would do our necessary things.  I know they had a good time and a lot of fun (all three of them).

The weather was the absolute best, really!  The right temperature, fabulous breeze, sunny and dry.  Every day should be exactly like today!  My saddest thoughts kept going back to the fact that it was sunny and I could have been laying out quilt blocks for assembling with all the lovely natural light!  Silly, I know, but I am pretty driven right now in wanting to move forward on this particular quilt.  I have a mission!

Once the time at the festival ended (we all agreed it would have been more fun earlier in the season), we made plans to attend again next year, but sooner in the season rather than later.  The crowds are always pleasantly light in the first two weekends.  Fortunately for us, the crowds didn't become problematic until after 1PM.  Perhaps next year Erika will be much more capable of getting around, and the lighter crowds early on will make the day less physically exhausting.  But that's a year from now and lots of things can change.

I did have some time mid-day to lay out the better part of two squares and finish cutting the yellow portion of my material needs, but I hardly made a dent in the project.

The remainder of the late afternoon was spent gabbing, laughing and movie-watching with Jean.  She brought down several movies to pick from and we had our usual laugh-a-thon after talking about our kids, our job woes (or, lack-of-job woes).  She had the chance on Saturday to spend time visiting with her twin daughters (in the same place) in the company of her granddaughter, and delighted in watching the aunts fuss and coo over a very cute little girl.

I know that feeling, spending quality time with the boys and not feeling pressured to get anything else accomplished except to enjoy the time and the company.

The coming week is full of the same old stuff - job searching for me and school for Karl.  With fall around the corner - and the onslaught of mosquitoes abated to a great extent - I am hoping to allow myself time outside in the gardens to get a lot of work done, before I am regretting it over the winter months. (Yes, I truly need to give myself permission to do what needs doing...I have issues in case you haven't noticed.)

More another time, until then....ciao!

No comments: