Pages

2.13.2012

A-visiting we will go

Went to see my grandmother over the weekend - yes, the grand old dame of 100 years and counting - and my aunt Deb was there staying with her, so I had an opportunity to show off the quilt to both of them!

Oddly, gram does not remember my being there just about a month ago (with the boys), but she did remember the quilt as having pins in it...but not this particular quilt.(!?)

Our memories, and the way in which our brains work, is a very strange and mystifying thing. She swears she hasn't seen me since before her 100th birthday party back in July! Although folks remind her that I was there snapping photographs, gram insists we have not come together for the better part of a year! How it is that she can recall my two brothers being at her party and not me is completely baffling.

Anyhow, a.D. has been getting updates of the quilt throughout a good deal of the process, and even though she's seen many pictures of it in the various stages, it isn't the same as seeing it up close and personal. Photographs do not relay the real look of the stitches in the material, nor the true colors and depth of the 4,000+ pieces. Indeed, it looks quite different experiencing it 'in person' as opposed to viewing photographs.

I imagine it also poses a bit of a shock when you see the actual size of it. I have always said it is 65"x65", because it is (or, at least, it is sixty-five one inch squares -- after sewing them together -- by sixty-five one inch squares in dimension), but with stretching and quilting...it has grown just a bit.

At any rate, it was fun to share it with a fresh set of eyes.

It was also fun to catch up with a.Deb and listen to her stories of little Adeline. I remember being excited sharing stories of my boys when they were little and cute and innocently matter-of-fact.

I hope my mom was as excited about Bud and Karl and their cute little ways about them as a.D is.

Thinking the next time the quilt and I go a-visiting it will be to see Maria and her latest projects. Whadaya say, M, are you up for a chat?

No comments: